Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
MPhil in Tourism and Hospitality
|Degree programme: MPhil||Faculty: Tourism Heritage and Culture Department|
|Mode: Full-time||Start in: September|
|Credits: 120||Duration: 4 Semesters|
In a context of high competitiveness, the tourism sector must find ways to promote his differentiation from competitors. The dimensions of hospitality, here understood as both an economic activity and a cultural phenomenon, whose key elements refer to customer satisfaction, competitiveness and collaboration, design and improvement of services, management of the relationship between client-provider and management of hospitality services, are addressed in an integrated context on the basis of innovative teaching and learning methods.
In this cycle of studies, issues of hospitality and its dimensions are adressed, based on conceptual knowledge of theoretical thinking of trends in the area. Hospitality in this context is understood as both an economic activity and as a cultural phenomenon, "an intellectual search of social dimensions, along with the economic nature", whose fundamental elements of hospitality are: customer satisfaction, competitiveness and collaboration, the design and improvement of services, the management of the relationship between customer-service and management of hospitality services.
Knowing the dynamics and its implementation, the action of the tourism professional, in the various working contexts, it is claimed as a distinctive opportunity, innovative, enhancer of quality system and increased competitiveness, either in the companies or in the tourist destinations. Thus, this MPhil is placed on achieving a formation that aims:
- The management of operations in the optical quality of the provision of adequate services to the diversity of consumers;
- The management of the relationship and the interaction between the host community in the defense and protection of their culture and heritage and visitors;
- Strategic planning thought to the host, reflecting on social and individual issues;
- Tourist information and differentiating strategic marketing access to consumers;
- The authenticity and originality of the social and cultural spaces, equipment and tourism resources as a priority;
- Planning and management of events, cultural, social and individually differentiated.
This 2nd cycle is also concerned with the dimensions of research as a fundamental support to the practice of work as a way of personal and social growth. The MPhil program will expand the offer of postgraduate training in the emerging field of tourism and hospitality, contributing to regional and national economic system.
Students will be encouraged to produce based on the strong relationship with industry organizations, which will be integrated into research projects and invited to contribute to the study of labor market needs. It is intended, with this MPhil program, promote the creation of synergies in cooperation with the tourism system organizations, for the development of the territories and the various dimensions of hospitality associated with them.
The aim is also to develop academic exchange with other national and international institutions of higher education. In short, the students will be granted the powers enabling them to actively contribute to the positioning of tourism to an entrepreneurial level , innovative and imbued with thought directed to people, communities and their heritage and culture.
Why choose this programme
This cycle of studies conveys specialized training in the area of Tourism and Leisure which is presented as sequential and complementary to that given in the 1st study cycles in Tourism Management, Hospitality Management, Economics, Marketing, Social Sciences, Geography, Heritage areas, Planning regional and Urban, and related fields.
The philosophy that underlies the curriculum of the MPhil structure in Tourism and Hospitality promotes understanding and mastery of hospitality in the areas of knowledge of tourism, based on a curious spirit, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, in close interaction with companies and organizations . Learning is centered on the student, promoting the development of self-employment skills and analytical and critical thinking, as well as strong social and cultural awareness. The teaching / learning methods foster technical and scientific expertise of Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality based on the needs of consumers, the involvement of local communities and the socio-cultural development of the territory based on collaboration with institutions, companies and partner organizations. Thus promotes a greater connection to the market sector, at the level of trainning, employability and applied research.
- Destination management organizations and companies;
- Management of consulting and planning projects;
- Hospitality management;
- Events organization and management;
- Tourism professional associations;
- National guide-interpreter;
- Museums, Monuments and sites of National Heritage guide;
- Heritage management;
- Companies of the tourism sector.
Are objective of the study cycle that students are able to:
- Understand the concept of hospitality acquiring knowledge and skills enabling act with quality and innovation in the fields of socio-cultural interests of consumers;
- Apply specialized investigation and design techniques in the fields of tourism and hospitality;
- Understand the importance of community and institutional collaboration in developing a cultural and heritage identity within the hospitality, cultural and heritage values safeguarding and communication;
- Know the marketing strategies applied to the hospitality contexts in tourism;
- Understand the importance of planning in tourism and leisure supported by dynamic observation, monitoring, critical analysis to be applied in territorial development and competitiveness of the tourism system;
- Know the operations in the fields of hospitality given the personal and professional development of human resources and hospitality.
Eligibility to join the programme
Regular application submission could be done by Holders of Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in related areas:
- Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree organized according to the principles of the Process by a country agreeing to the Bologna process in these or other related areas;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree in those areas or similar ones, which is recognized and meet the objectives of a “Licenciado degree” by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional course recognized by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University proving the capacity to attend the study programme.
International students are welcome! They have a chance to participate in the MPhil program through a regular application (becoming regular students of UPT), or decide to choose this course for an experience of international mobility (ERASMUS +, in this case the candidates must be regularly registered in a MPhil’s degree in another European university). In both cases, UPT supports international students with personalized attention and care and giving all the necessary information about the city, accommodation, transport system, entertainment and leisure, etc.
An International Coordination Service purposely created for this matter will be fully at their service!
1st year, 1st semester
|Project Design in Tourism and Hospitality||6|
|Hospitality and Tourism: Theoretical Approaches and Trends||6|
|Interpretation and Enhancement of Cultural Heritage (Optional)||5|
|Heritage, Culture, Tourism and Hospitality||6|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Innovation in Tourism and Hospitality||7|
|Operations in Tourism and Hospitality||6|
|Planning and Strategy in Tourism and Leisure||6|
|Practices in Events, Tourism and Hospitality||5|
2nd year, Annual
|Dissertation / Project work / Internship||60|
Jorge Marques (firstname.lastname@example.org)