Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
Master in Tourism and Hospitality
|Degree programme: MSc||Faculty: Tourism Heritage and Culture Department|
|Mode: Full-time||Start in: September|
|Credits: 60||Duration: 2 Semesters|
Message from the Coordinator
The Master in Tourism and Hospitality presents itself as a differentiating post-graduate training, which promotes understanding and mastery of Hospitality in Tourism and Leisure. Its transversal and multidisciplinary dimension relates in a sequential and complementary way to different areas of knowledge such as Tourism, Hotel Management, Management and Planning, Economics, Marketing, Geography, History, among others, promoting the acquisition of knowledge and development of skills, which applied in practical context actively contribute to improving the quality and competitiveness of the tourism sector.
More about the Master
In a context of high competitiveness, the tourism sector must find ways to promote his differentiation from competitors. The dimensions of hospitality, here understood as both an economic activity and a cultural phenomenon, whose key elements refer to customer satisfaction, competitiveness and collaboration, design and improvement of services, management of the relationship between client-provider and management of hospitality services, are addressed in an integrated context on the basis of innovative teaching and learning methods.
The master’s program promotes the development of skills and the acquisition of knowledge that allow the tourism professional to undertake differentiating and innovative actions, actively contributing to increase the quality and competitiveness of both the companies and the tourist destinations. This program will also contribute to expand the offer of postgraduate training in the emerging field of tourism and hospitality, with clear positive impacts on the regional and national economic system.
Objectives and Programme Content
The objectives of the study cycle are that students be able to:
1. Understand the concept of hospitality acquiring knowledge and skills enabling act with quality and innovation in the fields of socio-cultural interests of consumers;
2. Apply specialized investigation and design techniques in the fields of tourism and hospitality;
3. Understand the importance of community and institutional collaboration in developing a cultural and heritage identity within the hospitality, cultural and heritage values safeguarding and communication;
4. Know the marketing strategies applied to the hospitality contexts in tourism;
5. Understand the importance of planning in tourism and leisure supported by dynamic observation, monitoring, critical analysis to be applied in territorial development and competitiveness of the tourism system;
6. Know the operations in the fields of hospitality given the personal and professional development of human resources and hospitality.
Why choose this course
This cycle of studies conveys specialized training in the area of Tourism and Leisure which is presented as sequential and complementary to that given in the 1st study cycles in Tourism Management, Hospitality Management, Economics, Marketing, Social Sciences, Geography, Heritage areas, Planning regional and Urban, and related fields. The philosophy that underlies the curriculum of the master structure in Tourism and Hospitality promotes understanding and mastery of hospitality in the areas of knowledge of tourism, based on a curious spirit, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, in close interaction with companies and organizations . Learning is centered on the student, promoting the development of self-employment skills and analytical and critical thinking, as well as strong social and cultural awareness. The teaching / learning methods foster technical and scientific expertise of Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality based on the needs of consumers, the involvement of local communities and the socio-cultural development of the territory based on collaboration with institutions, companies and partner organizations. Thus promotes a greater connection to the market sector, at the level of trainning, employability and applied research.
Destination management organizations and companies;
Management of consulting and planning projects;
Events organization and management;
Tourism professional associations;
Museums, Monuments and sites of National Heritage guide;
Companies of the tourism sector.
Regular application submission could be done by Holders of Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in related areas:
- Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree organized according to the principles of the Process by a country agreeing to the Bologna process in these or other related areas;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree in those areas or similar ones, which is recognized and meet the objectives of a “Licenciado degree” by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional course recognized by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University proving the capacity to attend the study programme.
Diplomas and Certificates
Master in Tourism and Hospitality at the end of the 1st year
1st year, 1st semester
|Heritage, Culture, Tourism and Hospitality||6|
|Designing Projects in Tourism and Hospitality||6|
|Hospitality and Tourism: Theoretical Approaches and Trends||6|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Innovation in Tourism and Hospitality||7|
|Operations in Tourism and Hospitality||6|
|Planning and Strategy in Tourism and Leisure||6|
|Practices in Events, Tourism and Hospitality||5|
International students are welcome! They have a chance to participate in the master program through a regular application (becoming regular students of UPT), or decide to choose this course for an experience of international mobility (ERASMUS +, in this case the candidates must be regularly registered in a master’s degree in another European university). In both cases, UPT supports international students with personalized attention and care and giving all the necessary information about the city, accommodation, transport system, entertainment and leisure, etc.
An International Coordination Service purposely created for this matter will be fully at their service!