Local Time

Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.

Visa Information

Resident permit@Portugal

General visa & Entry Requirements in Portugal

Schengen Area

Portugal is part of the Schengen Area, a group of 26 European Countries which have abolished all border controls between each other. Hence, most citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area (EEA – Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) as well as Switzerland need only an identity card in order to enter Portugal.

Other Countries

For short stays (up to 90 days) visitors from the following countries can enter Portugal with Passport Only:

Citizens from countries not mentioned above need a VISA to enter Portugal.

This list may change, so you should confirm with your local Portuguese Embassy or Consulate.

Visa request

·         Apply for the Visa as soon as possible! Visa issues demand some time and attention.

·         Check with the relevant Embassies/Consulates regarding which documents you need to obtain a visa.

·         Double check all forms and the information you fill in. Sometimes small mistakes may result in the refusal of the visa request.

·         Always keep copies of the originals you submit! You may need them.


Student & Researcher Visa

As a general rule, the necessary documents for student visa applications for entry in Portugal are:

·         Passport or other travelling document (Expiration date not less than three months later than visa’s)

·         Three passport size photos

·         Criminal register

·         Health insurance certificate

·         Lodging certificate in Portugal

·         Proof of funds upon arrival in Portugal

·         Academic registration document

·         Vaccines bulletin

·         Academic qualifications document (certified by the local Portuguese Embassy/Consulate)

Additional documents may be required, so this information should be confirmed when requesting a Visa.

As non-EU nationals, third countries students can enter any other Schengen State, for a short stay without a visa simply by showing their passport and the Portuguese-issued residence permit. This is NOT the case when studying in Ireland or the United Kingdom, who are not part of the Schengen Area.

Please refer to the International Relations Office if you require visa and residence permit assistance or check the Board of education website or the online visa application page.

Please refer to the International Relations Office  if you require visa and residence permit assistance.

This website uses cookies to provide better functionality and for performance measurements (European Union Directive 2009/136/EC)