Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
MPhil in Artistic Heritage Conservation and Restoration
The MPhil in Artistic Heritage, Conservation and Restoration aims to provide students with a deepening of the acquired skills, thus promoting the continuity of the training. This course articulates solid scientific knowledge with practical situations in the work context offering an individualized, multi and interdisciplinary training. It is, therefore, closely linked to the professional reality, in these areas of knowledge that are constantly changing, and updating is a constant need. It offers specializations in several areas of research, proposing student participation in projects that are based on innovative partnerships, fostering critical reflection in scientific research in Artistic Heritage, Conservation and Restoration. Its association with Tourism projects can be an innovative element in the valorization and safeguarding of Heritage.
The MPhil degree is preliminarily accredited by A3ES - Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation of Higher Education (Portugal)
20 application vacancies in total. Apply here
2 Years MPhil Degree
Prof. Doutora Maria de Fatima Matos da Silva
Prof. Doutor Nuno Camarneiro Mendes
Why choose this course?
This MPhil programme articulates solid scientific knowledge with practical situations in the work context, offering an individualized, multi and interdisciplinary training in areas of knowledge that are constantly changing, enhanced by the progress of research and daily praxis. The updating of knowledge is therefore a constant need that is imposed on any professional of the heritage. The theoretical themes are about valuing the heritage and its authenticity in order to enhance the application of ethical principles, especially in the criteria for intervention and safeguarding the heritage. It also values research on the impact of tourism on the protection and safeguarding of heritage both in museums and in cities. It intends to develop basic skills in the design, implementation and evaluation of research projects in Artistic Heritage and Conservation and Restoration in order to develop the decision-making and technical capacities, in a process that aims at the increasing autonomy of the masters.
• Central, regional and local government bodies
• Archives, Museums, Libraries and Galleries
• Companies or organizations of technical consultancy in conservation and restoration of the patrimony
• Institutions and companies active in the areas of Tourism
• Specialized companies in conservation and restoration
• Companies specialized in heritage study and valuation
• Private groups active in the areas of dissemination and intervention in heritage
• Creation and / or development of own company.
-To deepen knowledge in the area of Artistic Heritage and, in particular, the Conservation and Restoration of movable goods;
- Develop skills for individual and autonomous work as well as teamwork skills;
- To know theoretical knowledge that allows the approach to new questions and to the resolution of problems placed in the conservation and restoration, in its safeguard and in its valorization;
- To deepen research methodologies for the design and realization of research projects, within the scope of Artistic Heritage and Conservation and Restoration;
- Develop project management and leadership capacities in the different research and service sectors.
Eligibility to join the programme
Diplomas and Certificates
There are two different kind of programmes at UPT: University Master and official MPhil. The University Master are one year taught programmes. The MPhil programmes are Portuguese Government official two year programmes. The first year is taught and the second year is a research year. A dissertation and a viva are mandatory for the degree to be awarded. The two kind of programmes are blended. Students can enrol for the University Master or for the first year of the Portuguese Government official two year programmes. The successful completion of the first year awards the University Master diploma and the successful completion of the dissertation and viva in the second year awards the MPhil official degree.
1st year, 1st semester
|Remote detection applied to Heritage||8|
|Ethics and Intervention||6|
|Environmental factors for degradation of heritage||8|
|Scientific Research Methodology||8|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Research and Intervention within Integrated Heritage||8|
|Research and Intervention in Museological Heritage||8|
|Digital simulation in conservation and restoration||8|
2nd year, annual
|Dissertation/ Internship/ Project||60|