Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
MPhil in Clinical and Health Psychology
|Degree programme: MSc||Faculty: Psychology and Education department|
|Mode: Full-time||Start in: September|
|Credits: 120||Duration: 2 years|
Message from the program coordinator
The MCHP aims to ensure the continuity of training for graduates in psychology, in accordance with the guidelines issued in Europe, and also the acquisition of skills that enable to professional practice and encourage the mobility of Psychologists in Europe. In order to promote the skills needed to develop effective responses to the requests of the labor market this degree offers a training that combines scientific knowledge and research, with practical intervention situations and real work contexts. We are looking forward to welcoming you!
Catarina Canário, PhD in Clinical Psychology
Objectives and Programme Content
The learning objectives of this cycle of studies allow the student to:
- Plan and build a research project by selecting, according to the study objectives, the methodology of data collection and analysis, quantitative and / or qualitative, adjusting and applying data analysis procedures, including statistical tests or content analysis, depending on the characteristics of the data
- Assess the psychometric properties of psychological assessment instruments
- Conduct a validation process of a psychometric instrument
- Deepen the main theoretical constructs inherent cognitive-behavioral models, humanistic, psychodynamic and systemic as well as meeting different qualities, attitudes and intervention strategies used by practitioners of these different theoretical orientations
- Apply the theoretical principles inherent to each model in the analysis of cases and planning objectives and intervention strategies
- Develop an appropriate ethical reasoning, making use of the code of ethics of psychologists
- Mastering the psychological assessment procedures and interviewing skills assessment in different frames of psychopathological disturbance and different cadres of health, taking into account their specific use with children, adults and geriatric contexts
- Develop psychological reports
- Plan psychological interventions in health, stress and coping, in the context of sickness and pain and in promoting the well-being and quality of life
- Evaluate effectiveness and efficiency of interventions
Why choose this course
The MCHP aims to ensure: the continuity of training for graduates in psychology; the compliance with the guidelines issued by the Ordem dos Psicólogos Portugueses and the Europsy; and also the development of skills that enable to professional practice and also the mobility of psychologists in Europe. To promote the skills needed to develop effective responses to the requests of the labor market, this cycle of studies offers a training that combines the transmission of sound scientific knowledge with practical leaning activities in real work contexts.
Scientific research, professional training in the field of clinical and health psychology, and specialized practice in the field of clinical and health psychology.Scientific research, professional training in the field of clinical and health psychology, and specialized practice in the field of clinical and health psychology.
- Bachelor level degree in Psychology
- Minimum English Proficiency level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: B2 – Independent - Vantage or upper intermediate
- An interview (live or Skype)
The MCHP aims to develop students’ knowledge regarding scientific research methods, different models of psychological intervention, and the use of psychometric instruments. Similarly, it aims to promote the acquisition of skills that enable students to understand, predict and assess individual disorders and imbalances, and to promote personal development and adaptation in different contexts of psychological intervention in the health and clinical domains.
1st year, 1st semester
|Humanistic-Existential Psychological Intervention||4|
|Systemic Psychological Intervention||4|
|Research Methodology 1||7|
|Methods and Techniques of Psychological Evaluation 1||7|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Professional Ethics and Deontology||4|
|Psychological Intervention in Disease and in Pain||5|
|Research Methodology 2||6|
|Methods and Techniques of Psychological Evaluation 2||5|
|Promotion of Well-Being and Quality of Life||5|
|Health Psychology, Stress and Coping||5|
2nd year, annual