Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
BSc in Psychology
|Degree programme: BE||Faculty: Psychology and Education Department|
|Mode: Full-time||Start in: September|
|Credits: 180||Duration: 3 years|
The 1st cycle of studies in Psychology aims to contribute to the initial training of psychologists, according to the international guidelines of the EuroPsy, the European Certificate in Psychology, and the Portuguese Board of Psychologists, in order to standardize training at both national and European levels.
Alexandra Araújo, PhD in Psychology
The objetives of the present cycle of study are the following:
- To develop scientific knowledge in the field of psychology, through a basic and essential training, across the areas of specialization proposed by EFPA, the European Federation of Psychologists' Association, Europsy, European Certificate in Psychology, and the Portuguese Board of Psychologists ;
- To acquire and develop skills in scientific research planning in psychology;
- To acquire and develop scientific knowledge about the human mind and its processes, as well as about the neurobiological bases underlying individual behaviors in the most diverse contexts;
- To acquire and develop skills in the context of initiation to scientific research;
- To identify models and theories in the various domains of psychology, demonstrating the ability to express and apply the acquired knowledge;
- To identify the main potentialities and limitations of psychological assessment, knowing and understanding the underlying assumptions of the use of different assessment methods and techniques;
- To acquire and develop competences inherent to individual or group psychological intervention models;
- To understand the concepts associated with ethics and deontology in psychology, to master the dimensions associated to decision making guided by the principles of the code of conduct of the practice of Psychology, and to develop competences in ethical reasoning in Psychology;
- To develop interpersonal, instrumental and systemic skills that enhance accountability for learning throughout the cycle of study and that contribute to proper professional performance as well as fruitful academic development at the 2nd cycle of studies.
Why choose this course
The proposed 1st cycle in Psychology is based on active teaching methodologies that focus on, along with the construction of scientific knowledge, the conduction of scientific research and contacts with the professional practice of psychology through curricular and extra-curricular activities. This study cycle aims to prepare students for the master's in Psychology, through a route throughout the different areas of psychology.
The course aims to support students to acquire and develop specific skills in the areas of specialization in Psychology, therefor contributing to a more conscious and informed choice about the area of ??specialization to be followed in the 2nd cycle of studies. The students are also supported in the development of solid competences in the field of scientific research in Psychology, which include proficiency in disseminating results.
To practice as a Psychologist, it is mandatory to complete the 1st and 2nd cycles of study in Psychology. The first cycle of studies in Psychology allows access to a master's degree in psychology, which is compulsory for professional practice, according to the European Federation of Psychologist's Associations and the Portuguese Board of Psychologists.
The master's degree in psychology allows professional practice in: schools, scientific associations, recreational, cultural and social associations, municipal councils, training and professional rehabilitation centers, child and youth protection commissions, human resources and communication/ marketing companies, psychotherapeutic support offices, hospitals and health centers, and non-governmental organizations.
To apply through the institutional competition, students must meet the following conditions:
- Secondary Education course or legally equivalent qualification;
- Entrance exam of: History, Geography or Portuguese.
Entry into the study cycle can also be done through Special Access Competitions, Special Access Regimes and Change of Course and Transfer Regimes, regulated by the UPT Entry Regulations.
NOTE: Available optional UCs will be defined annually by the Department Management.
Phone: +351 225 572 222 / 23
Mobile: +351 969 773 967