Erasmus Students: please refer to this page for the information that's relevant to you.
Master in Educational Management and Administration
|Degree programme: MSc||Faculty: Psychology and Education|
|Mode: Full-time||Start in: September|
|Credits: 60||Duration: 2 Semesters|
Message from the coordinator
Professional development and training in the teaching profession are very important not only to improve performance, but also to provide answers to the specific training needs that arise in the teaching profession. Recently, teachers’ roles and duties in the schools have become more demanding and complex, such as required by the role of head of the Departments or Coordinators.
Specialized training has also been recognized in the legal education frameworks, which clearly emphasize the importance of the field of educational administration and management to help teaching professionals to deal with the different and challenging roles which they must face in schools, today more than ever.
The Programme is relevant for the purpose of career progression, in terms of article 54 of Decree-Law No. 75/2010 of 23 June (Statute of Teaching Careers for Child Educators and Teachers of Basic and Secondary Education), for those who already have five years of teaching experience when entering the programme.
It is also formally recognized as specialized training in Educational Administration and Management by the Scientific and Pedagogical Council of Continuing Education (Accreditation Registration: CCPFC/CFE-3130/17). The curricular part of the Master programme corresponds to 12 credits of ongoing training.
Prof. Doutora Sandra Raquel Gonçalves Fernandes
Objectives and Programme Content
The objectives of the 2nd cycle of studies in Educational Administration and Management are:
- to perform tasks in the field of educational administration and management, school leadership and also pedagogic, academic and financial management of educational establishments.
- to understand the organizational dynamics of schools according to a scientific perspective and according to the analysis of the main theories and models of school organization.
- to apply scientific research methodologies to study organizational processes and practices, leadership and administrative and pedagogical management of educational establishments.
- to develop educational innovation and intervention in the school context, taking into account the contributions of research in education.
- to develop skills that allow life-long learning, in a self-oriented or autonomous way, based on a professional development perspective.
Why choose this course
This programme provides students with the opportunity combine a solid background in educational administration and management with practical situations based on real life case studies, emerging from professional practice. Great importance is given to students’ previous experience and knowledge, as the basis for the development of educational research projects.
The master programme is formally recognized as specialized training in Educational Administration and Management by the Scientific and Pedagogical Council of Continuing Education (Accreditation Registration: CCPFC / CFE-3034/15). The curricular part of the Master programme corresponds to 12 credits of ongoing training.
Direction, coordination, school leadership, performance evaluation, education training and management.
Regular application submission could be done by Holders of Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in related areas;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree organized according to the principles of the Process by a country agreeing to the Bologna process in these or other related areas;
- Holders of a foreign academic Bachelor degree in those areas or similar ones, which is recognized and meet the objectives of a “Licenciado degree” by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional course recognized by the Scientific Board of the Portucalense University proving the capacity to attend the study programme.
Minimum English Proficiency level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: B2 – Independent - Vantage or upper intermediate
Evaluation of the CV
An interview (live or Skype)
Diplomas and Certificates
This Master Programme is relevant for the purpose of career progression, in terms of article 54 of Decree-Law No. 75/2010 of 23 June (Statute of Teaching Careers for Child Educators and Teachers of Basic and Secondary Education.
1st year, 1st semester
|Management and Project Development||8|
|Legislation and Institutional Regulations||6|
|Sociology of Education||6|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Assessment in Educational Context||6|
|Communication and Conflict Management||6|
|Models and Pratices for School Administration and Management||10|